Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been...


...and continues to be.  I can't believe it's been 6 months already!  During my pregnancy, I smiled and nodded politely when older people told me that they enjoyed being grandparents, more than being parents, because they got to enjoy it more.  I get it now!  The past 6 months are an absolute blur!  I've been blessed with a child that doesn't sleep a lot, so I've not spent much time in REM sleep in 6 months - my memory is atrocious and I bring a whole new level of meaning to the terms 'dazed' and 'ditzy'.  But you know what?  I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Some reflections, musings...and things I've learned since becoming a mom:


  • Being up every 1-3 hours a night for 6 months turns a person into a zombie and can result in killing phones, unintentional injuries, perpetually losing items, (extremely) short term memory loss, a short temper and a myriad of other things that, frankly, I can't think of right now.  (i.e. I left my keys hanging in the front door for half a day just a couple of days ago -- only realized it when I opened the door to check the mail. *sigh*)
  • Just when I think I've gotten his routine down, Declan changes it.
  • Just when I think my boobs can't possibly get any bigger, they do.
  • a.) Declan will find a way to shoot pee on me, even fully diapered, and b.) there is such a thing as projectile poo and it will happen, unexpectedly, in the dark, at 2am.
  • I will make list after list after list...and forget to bring them when I go shopping.  I will eventually not have the ability to organize my thoughts enough to create a list (I'm there now).
  • I spent an inordinate amount of time, those first few months, getting acquainted with the backseat of my car in random parking lots, as I couldn't run an errand without D wanting to nurse!  That creepy lady hanging out in the backseat of her car?  Totally me ;)
  • I will, after spending an hour grocery shopping, be in line with a full cart...and a baby in a sling screaming while trying to gnaw a hole through my shirt.  I never knew what anxiety felt like until that moment.
  • I will deal with a collicky baby for weeks...until I realize that all of the dairy, soy, wheat and caffeine I'm consuming are the culprits (but the fully caffeinated coffee tasted SO good!).  *sheepish grin*
  • Having no idea what you're doing as a new parent is perfectly acceptable.  I will 'wing it' until I 'get it' (if I ever do).  Thank goodness for Google.
  • I try to be grateful for every moment I get to spend with D, especially those difficult moments.  We're lucky to have such a cool (and weird, in a cool way) little guy! 
    • I can't wait to see what the next 6 months will bring!   
  • I look forward to growing our family more!


1 comment:

  1. I love this, Lauren! I'm right there with you on so many of these things... I can relate to not being able to think about anything else but nursing my screaming baby. Like nothing else matters...it's so intense the "job" you have to do to meet that immediate need of your infant! I definitely try to embrace everything...even the annoyances. It's such a short phase in the grand scheme of things (even though in the moment it feels like forever). I'm so proud of you, Mama!

    ReplyDelete